Welcome to the awarding winning Compasses Inn at Littley Green.
COVID-19 Update – Wednesday 21st October 2020
I was informed last night that one of our part-time staff has tested positive for COVID-19.
We have not been contacted by NHS Track & Trace to date, but I have informed the rest of the staff and advised them to isolate and get a test if they start to show symptoms. We are following Government advice to the letter, and if anything changes we will advise you all immediately.
As you know, we have been practising extremely high standards of COVID-19 safety since we reopened in July. All public facing members of staff wear visors at all times and wash their hands regularly, to protect both our customers and our team. All surfaces in the pub are cleaned with anti-viral cleaners regularly and the kitchen is deep cleaned after every service.
If you would like any further information or clarification, please contact me directly.
Joss Ridley (Owner)
CURRENT COVID 19 RULES AT THE COMPASSES (16/10/2020)
TABLE SERVICE AT THE COMPASSES
From Thursday 24th September, we will be required by law to offer only table service at the pub.
So what does this mean for you coming to the pub? The following apply to both drinkers and diners – we have never prioritised one group over another and nothing will change now – you are just as welcome to sit at a table drinking as you are dining.
- No more queuing or service at the bar.
- Please enter the pub at the front of the building and wait to be allocated a table by a member of staff. Please be patient, there will be a few teething issues as we all get used to the new way of working.
- Food and drink menus will be left on the tables (laminated so that they can be sanitised between uses). Our current real ales and ciders, and food specials will be on our website, social media and will also be known to the member of staff serving you – so please avoid walking up to the chalkboards.
- You will be given a tab and asked to pay in one go when you leave. We prefer card payments but will also take cash. Please make a member of staff aware when you wish to pay rather than coming up to the bar.
BEER & CIDER MENUS
Last updated 13/10/2020
Breakast at The Compasses!
Starting 1st August 2020!
As a result of the improved back of house services, we have decided to alter our opening hours and food times, and to offer breakfast at the weekends between 08.30 & 11.00.
Monday 12.00-15.00 & 17.00-23.30 (Food 12.00-14.30 & 18.00-21.00)
Tuesday 12.00-15.00 & 17.00-23.30 (Food 12.00-14.30 & 18.00-21.00)
Wednesday 12.00-15.00 & 17.00-23.30 (Food 12.00-14.30 & 18.00-21.00)
Thursday 12.00-23.30 (Food 12.00-14.30 & 18.00-21.00)
Friday 12.00-23.30 (Food 12.00-14.30 & 17.30-21.00)
Saturday 08.30-23.30 (Food 08.30-11.00 & 12.00-21.00)
Sunday 08.30-23.30 (Food 08.30-11.00 & 12.00-20.30)
Friends of The Compasses Charity Takeaway Service
The Charity Takeaway Service has now finished. We raised an incredible £9,000 over 8 weekends for the following charities:
- Essex Young Farmers – our hosts
- Cancer Research UK – Joss
- Prostate Cancer UK – Paul
- St Elizabeth Centre – Lizzy
- The Trussell Trust – Audrey
- Motor Neurone Disease Association – Courtney
- Celia Hammond Animal Trust – Sue
- Braintree Youth Project Charity – Gus
Thank you everyone for your support, it was a very special thing to be part of. We will continue to do takeaways from the pub when we reopen on Friday 24th July.
Joss and The Friends of The Compasses Voluntary Group
COMPASSES’ NOMINATED CHARITY 2020
The Compasses’ nominated charity for 2020 is Cancer Research UK. Joss Ridley, the landlord, has chosen Cancer Research UK as one of his best friends (Dan) has been living with Stage IV bowel cancer for the last two years. There will be numerous events at the pub, including a weekly quiz night on Thursday evenings whilst we’re at The Whitbreads Barn, to help reach our target of £10,000. Joss is also racing the Transcontinental Bikepacking Race in July in order to help raise awareness. We would be very grateful if you are able to support us in any way, and if you would like to sponsor Joss on his big bike ride and read about Dan’s journey, please click on the link below:
If you would like to know more about the Transcontinental Race, please click on the link below:
If you would like to read about some of Joss’s adventures in the last couple of years, please click on the link below:
Being members of the sixth generation of the Ridley brewing family we pride ourselves on the quality of our real ale.
There are always two classic Essex bitters available – usually Bishop Nick Ridley’s Rite and Crouch Vale Essex Boys Best – a dark ale, a golden ale and one other guest ale. See the blackboard below for our latest offerings.
Last updated: 20/03/2020