Welcome to the awarding winning Compasses Inn at Littley Green.
REOPENING FOR INSIDE DRINKING & DINING
You do not need to book a table to come to The Compasses. However, if you would like to book one of our tables inside the pub or in the marquee, please ring 01245362308 or email email@example.com. We also have 24 casual walk-in tables in the garden, so it’s always worth just turning up if you decide to come last minute.
We take bookings for both drinkers and diners at the following times only:
12.00-13.30, 13.30-15.00, 18.00-20.00, 20.00-22.00
Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays
12.00-14.00, 14.00-16.00, 16.00-18.00, 18.00-20.00, 20.00-22.00
Please remember to wear a mask, if you’re able to, when moving around the pub and when ordering at the outside bar.
- Social Distancing – if you are able to, please wear a mask when not seated at a table and keep distance from others
- NHS Track & Trace – everyone must check in using the NHS app when they arrive or give your details at the bar
- Rule of Six – only 6 people or 2 households are allowed per table inside the pub (up to 30 outside)
- Table Service – we will be running a hybrid table service, please read how it works below
As we have an outside bar in the back garden, we will be operating on a hybrid takeaway/table service basis.
- Please find a table – if you have booked, your table will have your name on it, either inside or in the marquee
- Sanitised standard food and drink menus will be attached to the table
- Current Real Ales, Ciders and Food Specials will be displayed on a board on the corner of the marquee only. Please ask one member of your party to take a photo of the menu and return to your table.
- Once you have decided what you would like to order, please make a note of your table number and send one person to the queue outside the back garden bar (please see photo). Please maintain social distancing in the queue and wear a mask if you are able to.
- At the bar, please order and pay for your food and drinks (no tabs) and then return to your table (don’t forget your table number!). Your drinks and food will be delivered to your table
- Repeat until full!!
The Compasses has had an excellent Covid safety track record during the pandemic, and we wish to remain a safe place for everyone to come to. Please respect both staff and other customers at all times and help make it a relaxing and enjoyable experience for all. Remember, the way we all behave is directly related to the overall infection rate in our local area and when the infection rate is high, the pub has to close, which is something that none of us want, ever again. We are still living through a pandemic and bear in mind, a lot of the people who may serve you will neither have contracted Covid to date, nor had their first vaccine and may live with vulnerable people at home. We thank you for your cooperation and understanding in helping us keep our staff and customers safe, and the pub open and thriving. Joss x
Last Updated 12th June 2021
Being members of the sixth generation of the Ridley brewing family we pride ourselves on the quality of our real ale.
There are always two classic Essex bitters available – usually Bishop Nick Ridley’s Rite and Crouch Vale Essex Boys Best – a dark ale, a golden ale and one other guest ale. See the blackboard below for our latest offerings.
Breakfast at The Compasses!
Starting 1st August 2020!
As a result of the improved back of house services, we have decided to alter our opening hours and food times, and to offer breakfast at the weekends between 08.30 & 11.00.
Monday 12.00-15.00 & 17.00-23.30 (Food 12.00-14.30 & 18.00-21.00)
Tuesday 12.00-15.00 & 17.00-23.30 (Food 12.00-14.30 & 18.00-21.00)
Wednesday 12.00-15.00 & 17.00-23.30 (Food 12.00-14.30 & 18.00-21.00)
Thursday 12.00-23.30 (Food 12.00-14.30 & 18.00-21.00)
Friday 12.00-23.30 (Food 12.00-14.30 & 17.30-21.00)
Saturday 08.30-23.30 (Food 08.30-11.00 & 12.00-21.00)
Sunday 08.30-23.30 (Food 08.30-11.00 & 12.00-20.30)
Friends of The Compasses Charity Takeaway Service
The Charity Takeaway Service has now finished. We raised an incredible £9,000 over 8 weekends for the following charities:
- Essex Young Farmers – our hosts
- Cancer Research UK – Joss
- Prostate Cancer UK – Paul
- St Elizabeth Centre – Lizzy
- The Trussell Trust – Audrey
- Motor Neurone Disease Association – Courtney
- Celia Hammond Animal Trust – Sue
- Braintree Youth Project Charity – Gus
Thank you everyone for your support, it was a very special thing to be part of. We will continue to do takeaways from the pub when we reopen on Friday 24th July.
Joss and The Friends of The Compasses Voluntary Group
COMPASSES’ NOMINATED CHARITY 2020
The Compasses’ nominated charity for 2020 is Cancer Research UK. Joss Ridley, the landlord, has chosen Cancer Research UK as one of his best friends (Dan) has been living with Stage IV bowel cancer for the last two years. There will be numerous events at the pub, including a weekly quiz night on Thursday evenings whilst we’re at The Whitbreads Barn, to help reach our target of £10,000. Joss is also racing the Transcontinental Bikepacking Race in July in order to help raise awareness. We would be very grateful if you are able to support us in any way, and if you would like to sponsor Joss on his big bike ride and read about Dan’s journey, please click on the link below:
If you would like to know more about the Transcontinental Race, please click on the link below:
If you would like to read about some of Joss’s adventures in the last couple of years, please click on the link below: